If you’re like us you LOVE scampi. And believe it or not, it goes great on a pizza. We ate this on vacation in the Carribean last year and it was delicious. In fact, we ate several of them during our stay. We’ve been making our own ever since.
Feel free to play around with toppings and different varieties (or combinations) of cheeses. The scampi sauce keeps things moist, and the flavors are exquisite. This dish makes for a nice cocktail hour snack. Although be sure to make enough if you have several guests – it’s hard to eat just one piece.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1-pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend and divided (Mozzarella, Romano, Parmesan)
- ½ cup Arugula
- ¼ cup chopped olives
- 1 (12-inch) flatbread (or thin pizza crust)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the shrimp, garlic, salt, crushed red pepper, stirring constantly until the shrimp is pink and the garlic is fragrant
- Add wine and oregano, stir to combine and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove shrimp and place on a plate. Set aside. Pour scampi sauce into a bowl and reserve.
- Brush flatbread all over with half of the scampi sauce from pan
- Sprinkle the cheese (about 1-1/2 cups) over the top and then place the shrimp evenly. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the pizza.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the crust is brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and drizzle the remaining of the shrimp sauce on top.
- Top with fresh arugula, olives, and chili peppers if desired.
- It’s important to check the cooking instructions for the particular flatbread or pizza dough you’re using – they can vary between products. Also, pay attention to frozen vs. thawed.
- We recommend quickly sautéing the peeled shrimp first. Just a flash will do leaving them pink on the inside.
The Berry Godmother – your source for everything Berry!