Everyone wants a breakfast they can feel good about, and a cranberry chia pudding parfait is it! We all know and love chia pudding. Unfortunately, it can be a little bland, but that’s where the cranberries come in! The bold tartness and gentle sweetness of the cranberries (fresh or frozen) headline this delicious breakfast. It’s enough to make you pucker up but incorporating them into a sweet sauce ensures the flavor balance you need. And let’s not forget the health benefits cranberries bring. The nutrients in cranberries have been linked to decreased blood pressure, disease prevention and the berries are packed with antioxidants.
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or light coconut milk
• 3 tablespoons chia seeds
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• ¾ cup water
• 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• Fresh cranberries and mint leaves for garnish, optional
1. Add milk, chia seeds and vanilla extract to a mason jar.
2. Shake and refrigerate for an hour and a half or overnight.
3. Meanwhile, sort the cranberries. Discard any that are damaged or bruised.
4. Add the sugar, water, and frozen cranberries in a medium saucepan with the orange zest. Stir.
5. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
6. Reduce to a simmer, stir again and cook for 10 minutes or until berries burst.
7. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens then remove from the heat.
8. Set the sauce aside to cool.
9. Layer chia pudding and sauce in dessert glasses or mason jars.
10. Garnish as you wish and enjoy.
The Berry Godmother – your source for everything Berry!